Dottie Angel Wrap Dress (Simplicity 8186)


I've had these two fabrics (a red and white cotton damask, and a black and white check) for quite awhile and really always wanted to do a layered look with them, so when I came across this Dottie Angel Pattern (Simplicity 8186) it seemed perfect for them. Also, I didn't have a lot of either (about a couple yards of each, not even) and surprisingly this pattern doesn't require a whole lot fabric, as far as clothing goes.


As you can sort of see in the pattern photos and 'views', the underdress is very much a sack dress. The little darts at the bustline are quite minimal in providing any sort of fit. So if you're curvy at all, you're looking at a horrendous outcome. I made it to a size to fit my bust, which meant the waist was literally 8 inches too large and the hip was a couple inches excessive as well. 

I did not take a photo of the original before fitting (it's really difficult for me to stop mid-project to take photos, even though I know that it would be helpful if I intend to blog about it). 

Anyway, to mitigate the monstrosity of the sack dress, I first too the side seams in about an inch on each side, tapering from bust (where the dress fit was fine). Then I put in some classic front darts (from but through waist... making sure I didn't make them too deep or fully fitted, as this dress is a pull-on and has no fastener. I also threw a band of casing and elastic in the back to pull up some more of the slack while still allowing the dress to have enough give to be pulled on over bust.


(Sidenote: My lovely bicycle tan is clearly visible here, with racerback tank lines and pale lower legs, tan knees/thighs. Also, giant calves)


Some shape is lost with this dress, as the wrap dress is only minimally fitted. I can't imagine having the true sack form of the underdress bunching up beneath it, however. Definitely needs fitting or modification unless you have a very straight line figure, like the model in the pattern photos. Then it looks great as is.

Comments