70s Smock Top Styled 3 Ways (Is it Summer yet?!)

1. The Alice

This turned out rather costume-y looking (I feel a bit like a lolita cosplayer now that I study these photos more) for something that I wanted to be everyday wear. But good news,

1.) It's super comfy/not at all fitted but still looks cute.

and,

2.) I don't give a damn what people think of me, so I'll sure as heck be wearing this ensemble this summer.

Sadly, I have not received my mary-janes yet, but I still wanted to play. These are my saloon boots, which I do wear frequently when the weather is better because I love them.
The underdress is made from fabric saved from the 'free' pile at a thrift store by my friends (and the lace trim was also a salvage). And who's going to refuse free fabric? Not me! It is rather an ugly seersucker, however. Something easily resolved by a packet of Tulip fabric dye. Not bad for my first experiment with the stuff. It is darker in real life than in the photos, but it was a bright, sunny day today and so the colours were slightly washed out by my camera. (The sleeves aren't actually darker than the rest...)

2. 70s Style

The pattern I 'used' for the smock top/pinafore is a vintage pattern in my room mate's possession. Being not a size 12 Miss (34" bust, yeah right! Maybe in 7th grade...), I had to draft it up to size.

 (And added pockets. They are purposely placed to the side rather than more centered because at work I lean against hip-height counters and keep things like my mp3 player in my pocket and rather not have it crushed/smashed against the counter top.)

When it's really warm this summer, I'll so be rocking this (and might have to make a couple more in various fabrics).



PS These are the pair of tights that earn me the most 'Are those tattoos?' despite the fact you can see the seam line where the printing of the pattern breaks on the side of the leg.


3. Capris

For those warm yet not 'hot' summer days, this will go great with these 'hankerchief' print capris I have (in black and red), or with fun capris leggings!

Is it summer yet?!!

I so can't wait. I'm sick, Sick, SICK of wearing jeans (and long johns, and multiple pairs of socks and about five layers of shirts)... stupid winter. I want to wear my cute clothes again!









And some jewelry options...

I didn't think of it for the first round of photos, but I have multiple options for Alice jewelry!

My beautiful shadow box locket made by my friend, supermutts...
Craftster Post About Its Construction

Or my new necklace I got for Christmas from my aunt (who got it from an etsy shop)...


Paired with my 70s outfit is my pocket watch (an Christmas gift from my cousin several years ago), previously seen with numerous bohemian outfits and steampunk ones... And some dollar store sunglasses... (because if I pay more than $5 for a pair, they'll be lost or broken within a week. I have bad sunglasses kharma.)

Comments

  1. So cute! I love the style of this. And congrats on the achievement of making it yourself.

    I never understood the costume/clothing distinction. I don't know where the line gets drawn. This piece can certainly be worn in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out great! I like the innocence of the white smock top in contrast with the stockings and red shoes. I also definitely support wearing something borderline costume as everyday wear, and I think you'll probably get a lot of "where did you get that?"s wearing the Alice outfit. I love the shadowbox necklace with the tiny vial and watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD! I love all three looks!! You look AMAZING!

    I really love the first look. I think that's my favorite. But I definitely would wear the others- especially the capri pants look. :-) SO AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wintewr is hanging on here as well, but no snow this far South,
    Love the ALice dress even if that is not your intention for it to be one.
    I ordered the last Adult size dress and pinny the Alice shop at Llandudno were going to make (due to staff retirement). Hooped hosiery and Mary Janes are a must!
    Love the tattoo tights and even the capris.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment