Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mix-n-Match Dress (McCalls 6322)

I've had this fabric and pattern lying around for a bit waiting to become a dress. Finally made it to the top of my queue....
Since Meg was raving about http://www.picmonkey.com/#, I thought I'd give it a try. A quick and easy way to collage, for sure!

And here's the pattern (an 'easy' one, even when you put it together an entirely different way, as I did, in order to fit the side seams a little better).

Monday, June 18, 2012

Steampunk Minions


Component for STEAMPUNK EXPEDITION life-size board game. These are the place holders... Some of them are not so stable on their feet, so I will attach some circle/disc bases for them to do their duty/stand in for their masters.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Finger-Woven Belt (In-Progress)

Indian Handcrafts by C. Keith Wilbur
To go with my Trade Shirt for my Steampunk Tracker costume. This might take much more time than I can afford to allot to the piece... but I like the idea of a colorful/patterned belt in traditional native style (alright, excepting perhaps colour and materials, but I had to go dollar store somewhere to make up for the other stuff!)
Otherwise, accomplished not much today (except caving and ordering those moccassins, which I decided to opt for instead of a buckskin pants kit, because it was cheaper and I can just make some basic 18th century trousers using one of the suitings or twill I already have on hand) since I had to work this morning, oh-joy-of-joys :-/

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WANT!!

1800s style, and a moose had to die to make them! I'm coveting these hardcore!
North Woods Moccasins
How does this pertain to crafting, I'm not so sure, so I'm ending my (more severe than normal) materialistic moment now...

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Beach Dress


Made from cotton gauze I acquired in the red tag fabric area of Jo-Ann's (at an additional 50%, woo!). A rectangle, sewn up the side, wide hem at top used for two rows of casing, four rows of french seams for casing at the underbust, lots of elastic, basic hem at bottom, go to the beach!

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Steampunk Interlude

What's floating around my head and internet browser (as it pertains to Steampunk Birthday Machinations)...


Dragonfly Jetpack Pendant: etsy
Buckskin Pants Kits, Toppers, 'Mini-Blackhawk': Crazy Crow
Pith Helmets: (amazon) British vs. Other?
Compass: Art Fire
Trade Shirt, Moccasins: Indian Handcrafts by C.Keith Wilber
Nikola Tesla
Foam Tiles
Axe > Machete?




Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bridesmaid Dress

Almost forgot, here's my bridesmaid dress in action... (and the beautiful bride!)

JUNE TO DO:

  • Mrs. Fitzsimmon's Outfit (commission)
    • straps for skirt
    • vest
  • Wallet 
  • Steampunk Costume: Tracker
    • shirt
      • pattern: trade, ribbon, standard 19th shirtsleeves?
    • moccasins
    • trousers
    • eye piece
    • falconers glove/gauntlet for Jack the Raven
  • Gauze Wrap-around pants (?)
  • Beach Dress
  • Mix-and-match dress
  • Steampunk Expedition: Life-size board game
  • Father's Day Present

SECRET PROJECT OF SECRETNESS REVEALED

Invasion of the Daleks (Doctor Who Quilt)
 This was a wedding present for my friends, who were married yesterday (congrats!!)...

Oh! No! They've got the TARDIS surrounded!
...

59 Dalek Appliques...

First, (well, after all the blocks were pieced) I cut out the shapes on the underside fabric of the applique.




Next, I sewed the pieces to the applique fabric.

Trim around the edges, cut out the middle of the applique backing, turn and press.
Paint!
DALEK ARMY!
...
(There is only) One TARDIS (applique)



Same as Daleks, sew, turn, press. Then sketched on outline and Paint!
...

Machine -Quilted Diagonals.

The details (eye stalk, plunger, and egg beater) on the daleks were hand-embroidered (after the applques were all sewn on, also by hand).

I hand quilted inside all of the blocks, around the daleks and TARDIS. After going through the wash, the finished product definitely looks 'quilted', all poofy and whatnot...

 For the border and part of the backing (the fabric wasn't wide enough and my math was apparently off, so I had to piece it), I used this awesome galaxy/nebula fabric. It almost matches perfectly, if only it had a bit more pink in it...

The quilt is done in an altered Irish chain style, which I had to sketch out to keep the transition from the TARDIS background to the blue straight. It's scanned in pieces, but to be honest, the graph paper blue print/sketch isn't that fantastic in real life either. But it did the trick. I changed my mind about the dalek layout after doing the sketch, instead opting for them to all face to the right and swirl about the TARDIS...

It has over 900 of the 1 1/2" (finished) dark blue blocks, 550+  turquoise, 108 purple, 80 pink, 40 red, and 22 orange. Also, 51 of the 7 1/2" square center blocks. Overall size, 92"x92"... my second queen sized quilt!

...

Hope it keeps them warm and cozy through the years!