Pattern Review: Dottie Angel (Simplicity 1080)

Here's another 'I made this last fall but didn't take photos until last week' projects..

Simplicity 1080: Dottie Angel Dress/Tunic



...

THE PATTERN:

Simplicity 1080

I love the simple style of this dress. I also love to make dresses out of the fun prints you can only get in Quilter's cottons, which this dress is obviously designed for. Not only is it cute, it has a utilitarian look to it with large, easily accessible patterns.
The cut is basically, well, a tunic in the dolman style. The fit is achieved through pleats at the front underbust with ties to be ties in the back. (I would recommend lowering the pleat placement for larger bust sizes or you'll end up with the tucks/fit across the bust instead of under it).

...

WHAT I DID DIFFERENTLY:


I like the contrast variation of this pattern. However, I'm not a huge fan of hard lines in my own clothing. I admire the modish look on others, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
So I opted to alter the pattern and added a  scalloped/petal effect on the main dress fabric overlaying the contrast hem piece. (The outdoor photos are a little washed out. The detail is more color correct for the dress fabrics.)


Comments

  1. Very nice. I like your choice of fabrics, and the scallops are a unique touch. This dress will be my next sewing project, I'm excited to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought this pattern. I can’t wait to make it. I will make it in a textured, dark navy textured cotton with bright patterned pockets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment