Tuesday, January 3, 2012

50s Smocked Hostess Apron (COMPLETED PROJECT)

Finally finished up this 50s Smocked Hostess Apron that I started who knows how long ago... (see link for scan of vintage pattern I uploaded)
I followed the directions as to colour/fabric choice, as well, red and white gingham, black embroidery floss, and black grosgrain ribbon (velvet probably would've looked better, but I opted for what was available.)
The apron in the pattern sketches is much fuller than it turned out for me... oh well...

2 comments:

  1. very cute. Crazy jealous of your smocking skills. I've always wished to learn to do that (of course, then I would smock everything).

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)

    Smocking is superfun, and easy if you use a check print, such as a gingham. You don't have to lay out any grid or use basting stitches, just smock away!

    I think it'd be a cute effect with some of your babydoll dresses, Meg! ;-) I'd love to see some smocking in a 'punk' outfit. It seems somehow counterintuitive to the style, but I think it would work...

    ReplyDelete