Saturday, August 3, 2013

Tangled/Rapunzel (Disney Princess) Apron


'Cascading locks of hair'
 Because I'm not the only nerd around, my friend decided to have a Disney Princess themed party, specifically a Tangled one. (I think she just wanted to release sky/flying lanterns.)

Anyway, I decided to make her an apron inspired by Rapunzel's dress, so that if she felt like it, she could be a 'princess' on her birthday.

It's hard to pin down the exact colours, considering almost every reference image I found was slightly different. But I was favouring the more purple/lavender colorings than the really pink ones, and these were the fabrics that best fit out of what I could find at Hobby Lobby (the only store with fabric besides Walmart that I am able to hit on my daily commute to work by bus). I opted for a purple flower calico for the center front panel since I guess Rapunzel's dress has texture there. The bodice does, as well, apparently, but I wanted to keep it simple since I was trimming it out with the ribbon and lace.

This apron is an altered version B of Simplicity's "Vintage '48 & '52 Pattern', 3544. I had to piece the front pieces so that the top part of the apron looked like it was a separate bodice. The trim is obviously different than in the original pattern. I left off the 'sailor' collar and added little pieces meant to emulate the sleeves of Rapunzel's dress (striping them with pink ribbon). The back and ties I did out of yellow broadcloth and then painted to look like hair. I also added scalloped 'embroidery' stitches (one of two that my basic Kennmore machine does) along the bottom and inside panel edges to mimic the designs on Rapunzel's dress.

6 comments:

  1. This apron is amazing!!! And what an awesome party idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* This is the sort of lovely item I wear in my dreams. You're so skilled to be able to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logically I figure with experience and supplies, project can go much more quickly than the glacial drift velocity at which I do my sewing, but I must ask: do you crank these projects out as quickly as you are posting them? Does your imagination also run that fast? Because I am dumbfounded with admiration. o.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But if you noticed, I hadn't posted for a while, so they sort of built up. I really only average about one or two a week. This sadly does not keep up with my project queue at all. I have ten definite projects at the moment (to complete during the rest of the summer/fall) and about twenty more I have floating around in my head. These include: clothing items for me, painting umbrellas, clothing items/costume pieces for others, my Halloween costume, a new work apron, some jewelry ideas (if my friend and I decide to get a table at a craft fair), quilts, Rockabilly pieces I haven't had time to make...

      Delete
    2. Ok, what you described sounds much more familiar to me, haha. :D

      Delete
  4. a total Disney princess! adore!

    ReplyDelete