|'Cascading locks of hair'|
Anyway, I decided to make her an apron inspired by Rapunzel's dress, so that if she felt like it, she could be a 'princess' on her birthday.
It's hard to pin down the exact colours, considering almost every reference image I found was slightly different. But I was favouring the more purple/lavender colorings than the really pink ones, and these were the fabrics that best fit out of what I could find at Hobby Lobby (the only store with fabric besides Walmart that I am able to hit on my daily commute to work by bus). I opted for a purple flower calico for the center front panel since I guess Rapunzel's dress has texture there. The bodice does, as well, apparently, but I wanted to keep it simple since I was trimming it out with the ribbon and lace.
This apron is an altered version B of Simplicity's "Vintage '48 & '52 Pattern', 3544. I had to piece the front pieces so that the top part of the apron looked like it was a separate bodice. The trim is obviously different than in the original pattern. I left off the 'sailor' collar and added little pieces meant to emulate the sleeves of Rapunzel's dress (striping them with pink ribbon). The back and ties I did out of yellow broadcloth and then painted to look like hair. I also added scalloped 'embroidery' stitches (one of two that my basic Kennmore machine does) along the bottom and inside panel edges to mimic the designs on Rapunzel's dress.