Friday, January 21, 2011

THE VICTORIAN DRESS PROJECT: Part III (Underpinings Patterns & Fabric)

Simplicity 2890: The Museum Curator Collection

Chemise in white stripe batiste. I've used this pattern before, and it seemed rather apt in comparison to tradition drafts I'd seen on the web and elsewhere.I am hoping the drawers are equally satisfactory. However, I tend to have to hem things a bunch so not precisely shirt where they should fall. Below the knee, no? Also in the white-on-white stripe batiste...
 
 CORSET: Butterick 4254D

Already have cut out the mock-up. Reviews have stated a.) that this pattern runs true to size, so one should make a couple sizes smaller. Sensible, since corsets are meant to be made at least 2 inches smaller than actually waist size, and b.) this corset tends to run short in the torso. I am a bit short in the torso (not to the point where I've altered patterns, however), so hopefully the mock-up will inform me of this factor as well.

Also, this pattern only sates that one needs a 'corset busk' as part of the notions, not a specific length one. Suppose it makes sense, if the majority of people have needed to lengthen said corset. After length has been determined, then busk can be ordered. 

Besides this, fabrics and spiral steel boning have already been acquired. White canvas, white linen for lining. I ordered a taupe on white damask. However, when I received it today, imagine my surprise to discover that it was SPARKLY! This was not mentioned in the product description...so much for authentic. If it were brass/gold/coppery rather than silvery glitter, then I would just brand it 'steampunk and be happy... However, now I am considering finding an alternative for the corset fabric. I wanted a white/light colour in case I opted for a sheer/light-colored dress.






No comments:

Post a Comment