DRESS-OF-THE-DAY: 1930s Inspiration

In celebration of NATIONAL SEWING MONTH (here in the United States), I've decided to do an intensive blog series (well, intensive for me who obviously does not always make the time to blog), featuring a dress (or two, or a style) each day, not previously presented on this blog. Some will be my own creations, whether I used patterns or designed them myself. Others will be pieces I admire. Either will include an analysis and maybe some sources, history and tips. (At least, that's the goal.) I also have some guest bloggers scheduled (exciting!)

And now on to the Dress of the Day!


...

1930s Inspired Dress


As much as the glamor fashion of 1930s Hollywood is appealing, I really enjoy the more 'rural' working class dresses, practical, yet still feminine. Often made from fabric salvaged from feed sacks (the most brilliant marketing scheme ever, especially looking at it from the perspective of a time period when you don't even get cheap plastic toys free in cereal boxes anymore). 

 ...

Inspired By...
Tie Collar Vintage 30s Dress on Etsy;               BurdaStyle Pattern;         Yellow Plaid Vintage 30s Dress on Etsy

A Breakdown of 30s Rural Dresses:
  • Looser/Not super fitted bodice gathered/tucked to waist.
  • Natural Waist
  • A-line skirt
  • Some sort of collar (simple open, sailor with ties, peter pan, etc.)
  • Short to 3/4 Sleeves
  • Calico Fabric (best if reminiscent of vintage feed sack fabrics)
  • Below knee-length (except in my adaptation...oops)
...

What I Did...



I decided to use a simple approach, and do the gathered at the waist method of fitting (like in the Burdastyle pattern), with casing and drawstrings. The collar detail is what really gives this piece character. The length was unintentionally short. I had intended for it to be knee-length. The hem is finished with picot-edging on my overlock/serger.

Pattern: This is a simple front and back piece, dolman (think sort of classic T shape) cut. The collar pieces are just rectangle shapes, double-layered, sewn and turned, finished with a decorative scalloped stitch on my machine.

...

And now that you've successfully navigated this blog entry, here's a reminder about the Steampunk Apron/Bustle Mini-Sweepstakes (details here).

Comments

  1. I like this dress. I'm attracted to the clothes real people wear. Which is why, when I imagine myself in a female life, being the kind of ordinary gal who shops at Marshall's and inexpensive boutiques. Unlike those with delusions of grandeur who always imagine themselves in past lives as a Queen or heroine, I find beauty in the common lives of regular women.

    One of my favorite movies of all time, for its visual beauty and story and clothing, is the obscure but highly-respected "Days Of Heaven." Made by Terence Malick, it depicts a young couple (played by Richard Gere and Brooke Adams) struggling in poverty in the Midwest a century ago. I recommend it. Some find it "slow," but patience is rewarded. Sam Shepard plays a big role in it. I'm sure your theater-friend knows who he is; he acts to support his playwriting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment