DRESS-OF-THE-DAY 21: Coveting the Quirky Card Dress

In celebration of NATIONAL SEWING MONTH (here in the United States), I've decided to do an intensive blog series (well, intensive for me who obviously does not always make the time to blog), featuring a dress (or two, or a style) each day, not previously presented on this blog. Some will be my own creations, whether I used patterns or designed them myself. Others will be pieces I admire. Either will include an analysis and maybe some sources, history and tips. (At least, that's the goal.) I also have some guest bloggers scheduled (exciting!)

And now on to the Dress of the Day!
...
THE QUIRKY CARD DRESS
(ca. 1920s) 
 I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled across this dress on the internet, but I did, and immediately fell in love with. The original source is apparently no longer available, only pinterest pins remain, dating it as a 1920s vintage dress, which given its loose, drapey style may indeed be true.

The print however, is unlike anything I've seen before (bar quilter's cottons). I love the bright colors, the random motif, the water-color like quality of the design.

I might have to make a reproduction...

REPRODUCTION GUIDE:

  1. Identify the fabric. I'm thinking, because of the drape and the light hand, that this is very likely silk.  (Also the hand-painted look of the design makes this likely.) The other option I see for this dress is to digitally (or maybe watercolor, scan and clean up) design some fabric and have it printed through Spoonflower on one of their silks or silk blends.
  2. Break Down the Style. 
    1.  Locate the seamlines, and then the pieces involved in its construction.
    2. Sketch the garment and the pieces that comprise it. (The irregular hemline is simply a result of the asymmetrically cut bodice, which adds a little extra fun interest to the garment).
    3. Make notes of how you think the garment was constructed: gathers, darts, facings, hemmings, finishing stitches.
    4. Identify any special techniques and research them. In this case, I would start looking into hand-painting silk techniques, reading as many tutorials as possible.
  3.  Make list of required supplies. Most of the time, this would include fabric sources & notions (thread, buttons, zippers, etc.) sources. In the case of this dress,
    • plain silk fabric
    • painting supplies
    • thread
  4. After acquiring supplies and doing research, CRAFT TIME!
  5. Enjoy your new, unique, reproduction dress! I wish I had had the time to do this for the blog series, and maybe show you the progression of my reproduction crafting, but alas, I did not. But maybe someday...

...
And now that you've successfully navigated this blog entry, here's a reminder about the Steampunk Apron/Bustle Mini-Sweepstakes (details here).


Comments